A vision is designed to guide action. If you are clear about where you are going, and what needs to be done to get there, every moment of your day-to-day activity becomes meaningful and purposeful. This section is designed to give you the visioning tools you need to become a more productive agent on behalf of sustainable peace, prosperity, and happiness.
The FLOW Vision is based on the principles of economic freedom, voluntary exchange, and individual initiative, combined with social and environmental consciousness, and embodies FLOW Principles, which include commitments to human flourishing, non-violence, and radical tolerance.
The name “FLOW” has two primary roots:
- An optimal state of human experience in which individuals are fully engaged in creative endeavors, experiencing fulfillment, happiness, and well-being. This state is articulated by psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi in Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience.
- The means by which increases in the free global flow of goods, services, capital, people, and information will accelerate human progress and well-being.
We believe that the entrepreneurial spirit fosters the flow state, and entrepreneurial creativity and innovation can create conditions that promote sustainable peace, prosperity, and happiness for all, in our lifetime.
We envision a world in which everyone is living a life of flow: with meaningful engagement in productive, positive activity based upon creativity, optimism, and personal initiative.
Michael Strong, John Mackey and Jeff Klein at
- Create sustainable peace, prosperity, and happiness for all by liberating the entrepreneurial spirit for good.
- Articulate and animate an inspiring vision of a world with sustainable peace, prosperity, and happiness for all, catalyzed and sustained by entrepreneurial initiative and conscious capitalism.
- Serve as an "entrepreneur of meaning" to other organizations and initiatives.
- Provide an inspiring yet pragmatic vision.
- Create collaborative networks of organizations aligned with this vision and working to realize it.
- Provide public outreach, education and engagement platforms to catalyze a mass movement based on this vision.
- Cultivate awareness of the powerful role creators, innovators, and entrepreneurs play in the evolution and elevation of humanity.
- Describe and foster those social, cultural, economic, and legal conditions that lead to increasingly effective entrepreneurial solutions to all problems.
Principles & Values
FLOW and the FLOW Community are committed to the following four core principles:
- Cultivate human flourishing,
- Practice non-violence and radical tolerance,
- Embrace freely-chosen, mutually beneficial solutions, and
- Criticize by creating!
FLOW is comprised by people from all geographic, social, economic and political spheres who believe in the FLOW vision and embody FLOW principles. The FLOW community is an open, free space in which people can work together to create sustainable, global peace, prosperity, and happiness.
FLOW seeks to create sustainable peace, prosperity, happiness, and well-being for all in the next fifty years, by liberating the entrepreneurial spirit for good and by promoting entrepreneurial, market-based solutions to the opportunities & challenges facing humanity.
Entrepreneurship and markets, broadly speaking, are powerful forces for positive change and, when directed by conscious intention to make the world a better place for all. By liberating the entrepreneurial spirit for good, we seek to free individuals and organizations so they can introduce more innovations more quickly so that poverty, war, and misery become a curious artifact of history forever after, and peace, prosperity, happiness, and well-being reign.
In order to work together to create this world, we are committed to the four core FLOW principles, mentioned above. Grounded in these principles, we seek to create a world based on voluntary interactions between people committed to human flourishing, and radically tolerant of other individuals and communities, and their diverse perspectives.
The Greek “theoria” originally referred to a way of seeing the world. Although “theory” in the modern sense often has connotations of abstract and unrealistic, we use it in the ancient Greek sense of seeing the world in a particular manner. Ideas are tools to help us understand reality more effectively. If they do not support us to understand reality more effectively, they are worthless.
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Many people, when they first see a developing world slum, are, quite rightly, aghast at the poverty. But there is a different way of seeing this same slum: The most basic “theory” of population growth is that fewer children die than used to be the case. Thus this vast urban poverty is the direct result of billions of children living instead of dying due to improved health and nutrition.
Throughout the history of the human race, most mothers have lost most of their children to death. Dramatic improvements in health and nutrition around the world are directly responsible for the “population explosion.” On the very most human level, the “over-populated” Brazilian favela pictured above exists in such a crowded state because millions of mothers had millions of children live to adult-hood instead of dying.
One can learn to look at the above photo and “see” millions of mothers grateful that their child did not die. One can also “see” millions of mothers who hope that their living children can have better lives. Yes, it is a good thing to be able to look at a favela and “see” millions of children who survived rather than died, and it is a good thing to “see” a favela and urgently desire to help these people to live far safer, healthier, happier lives.
If ideas, including the ideas included in FLOW theory, do not enhance the way you see the world, then they are of no value. We should all develop the habit of “trying ideas on,” much as we might try on a pair of glasses, and see how the world looks through those ideas.
>Back to Top
"Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference." ~ Joel Barker
FLOW programs bring ideas to life by engaging people with FLOW-related Ideas, Community and Action.
Would you like to join us in liberating
the entrepreneurial spirit for good®?